Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner.

Seems everyone is either reading this, has recently read it or has just seen the movie. I was given the boxed set as a gift and have just completed the first book in the trilogy in only a matter of days. I am yet to see the movie though.

Firstly I have to say, what's up with all the post-apocalyptic novels that are out there at the moment? Am I showing my age or are our kids truly only reading about the end of world in every single thing they pick up these days? Do we know longer enjoy feel good stories? Books that actually mean something and truly connect with the reader or are we all that screwed up that all we are concerned with is the end of the world?

Don't get me wrong this was for sure a page turner, with chapters averaging 3 - 5 pages in length it was super easy to grab a few minutes and chew through another page here and there.

In case you've been living under a rock and haven't heard of The Maze Runner, the premise is a bunch of teens locked in one giant killer maze scrambling to try and find their way out. Their memories have been wiped, they have no idea why they are in there and what they need to do to escape, that is until Thomas arrives with feelings of having been there before.

With Beetle Blades watching their every move and Grievers trying to kill them every night they scour the maze looking for a way out. Will they ever figure out the clues and escape the dreaded world they have been thrown into?

If you don't mind hanging out with teens that have created their own versions of swear words, full blown action, some death and violence with even a small amount of romance thrown in then you will no doubt enjoy this novel.

The one big plus this book has for me, when compared to The Hunger Games, is that for now at least, the teens actually work together. There is no all out bloodshed on each other within the pages. Whilst there isn't a huge amount of character development the plot is well laid out and Dashner does a great job of setting the scene and the overall feel of the world in which the story is set.

You simply cannot read it though and leave it at the first book, it quite clearly needs the follow up books to finish the story and I have just found details that the prequel, The Kill Order was released in 2012 and another prequel The Fever Code will be released in 2016. So this whole Maze Runner saga may be with us for some time to come.

This is absolutely a teen novel, and truly for me verges on twaddle but I have enjoyed it for what it is and absolutely struggled to put it down. I can see for sure why the teen market is loving it! Now that I have just closed the last page on the first book I can clearly see that James Dashner has an overall plan and he has me wondering where it is all headed. Looks like I'll be starting book two sometime this evening.

Happy Reading!

In simple pleasures you will find life's treasures,
Kylie xx

4 comments:

  1. I think end of the world and dystopia have been popular subjects for YAs for many years. Just see Fahrenheit 451, A Strange New World, 1984, Z For Zachariah or the Tomorrow series for well known writings from the past six decades. Even Harry Potter could be considered an exploration of dystopia, especially for books 5 - 7. Perhaps they're popular with young adults because they are attempting to understand mortality and are becoming interested in political issues. War stories have similar themes, though they may be based in history. As a teen I remember enjoying The Diary of Anne Frank and The Hiding Place. Vince has recently read through Morris Gleitzman's series that starts with Once and, of course, The Book Thief.

    I've been reading the Tomorrow series by John Marsden and have recently finished the first six books. It was a compelling read and I raced through the series in about two weeks. It was great to read such a story in an Australian setting and would be appropriate for kids 12 and up, or perhaps 14 and up if you're inclined to restrict mild sexual content until they're a little older. I'm reading the Ellie Chronicles, which pick up after the first series, but they're not holding my interest so well. I think I am a little exhausted of the trials Ellie has to endure, even though all of them seem plausible. I can't imagine how I would manage with really living through a war and occupation on Australian soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do agree, end of the world stuff is always popular, just seems to be at an all time high at the moment, or so that is my perception anyways. You've given me a couple of great titles to check out and the Tomorrow series has been on list for some time now. Thanks for the nudge to get myself a copy.

      Delete
  2. I've enjoyed post- apocalyptic stuff for years...kind of embarrassing, really. ;)
    In fact, this book is on my "to read" list, along with dozens of other books. I may never get to it, really!

    I recently read "The 100" and "Day 21"; I liked it well enough, but I read it because my daughter and I were watching "The 100" together.

    Loving your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy the stories Karen, they are great for that can't put down page turning read, but I do need to break them up with other genres, somewhat.

      Well I think you would devour this book in only a few short days, maybe read it with your kids. It would certainly raise plenty of discussion topics.

      Delete

Comments always make me smile :-)